Monday, February 12, 2007

Weekend Walking

This weekend started off pretty miserable weather wise - a fair bit of mist hanging around the hilltops very early on so I put off going out until mid morning by which time it seemed most of it had blown over. The grey cold looking sky was very surprisingly deceptive as it turned out to be quite mild.

My original plan for Saturday was to go across Arnfield/Ormes Moor over to Dovestones but because I'd left it a bit late for going due to the earlier mist thought I'd do a shorter walk of Hadfield/Arnfield/Higher Swineshaw Reservoir/Slate pit moor overlooking Buckton Vale/Swineshaw Moor/Ogden Clough/Arnfield which by the time I got back home to Hadfield would be a little over 12 miles.

Unfortunately, I had to leave my little walking buddy, Leo, at home as he's been limping a bit; we think he cut his paw on some glass on the road. Limp or no limp he was not impressed at being left behind !


Footbridge - Ogden Clough

Lower Swineshaw Reservoir

Slate Pit Moor - Buckton Vale Quarry on the distant hill

One of the many streams running into Ogden Brook

Arnfield Flats

Was fortunate to be able to get out again and do the walk originally planned for Saturday. Hadfield, Tintwistle, Arnfield Top of Ogden Clough, Ormes Moor, Chew Hurdles, Along the rim overlooking Dovestones Reservoir, Descend Wimberry Stones Brow to Dovestone Reservoir, Return through Mossley, Heyrod, Stalybridge back to Hadfield = 16 miles.

Weather was mild once again, mist kept off the moors until I got to Chew so all in all started out very well, that is until I stepped into a particulary deep boggy section. Due to the recent snowfall it was only to be expected it would be extra squelchy now the snow had melted so I had been picking my way carefully to avoid anything more than ankle deep. The stile I was heading for was in sight and only a very short distance away when I noticed some walking poles. It was in that fleeting second on catching sight of them thinking it was strange somebody would leave them there rather than take them with them (serious walkers do not leave their rubbish behind unlike the idiots that leave broken glass and litter lying about the village) that I went down like a lead balloon thigh deep in the thickest black morass ever. I must admit it is a very "hairy" moment when you think oh s@@@ until you realise you've stopped sinking and need to get yourself out of that one. In hindsight I am sure the poles were left as a warning I only wish I'd spotted them sooner would have saved me being well and truly christened bog style!!!

Left Walking Poles Mark the Spot
Unfortunately they mark a spot about 30 yards from where I got my christening

Despite getting the heeby jeebies from my wee mishap, the rest of the walk was enjoyable. It was only a short distance to Chew Hurdles. This is a pic overlooking Chew Brook with a patch of Dovestone Reservoir showing in the distance




Overlooking Dovestone Reservoir





Looking back along the rim path




Weathered rocks overlooking Dovestone Reservoir




No comments: