Sunday, February 25, 2007

Although only 13.5 miles today's walk was much more tiring than yesterday's. Starting off crossing sections of deep bushy heather, then a rocky strewn incline followed by expanse of deep peat groughs certainly gives the calf muscles a good work out. I really noticed the difference of not having been to the gym this past fortnight and on the way back resolved to make sure no more excuses conjured for not going next week.


I'd previously decided to head over to Chew Reservoir and having reached the edge of Arnfield Moor stopped to take a bearing. Whilst perched on a stone, map in hand, I noticed a sheep edging forwards - aww cute I thought, sheep being skittish things that usually bolt at the slightest thing. Next moment another one, then another - then quite a few too many looking rather expectantly.

The Hills Have Eyes !!

Maybe Farmer Giles was a bit late with their food but they'd got a bit too close for comfort now. Waving my map and shouting "Shoo" didn't seem to be of much help only made them break out in a trot in my direction, not quite the effect I had in mind. Before I knew it there were twenty or so three feet away staring me out big time. Up off my rock like Jack Flash, fastening my bag while on the move I felt like the Pied Piper (except he wanted to be followed).


These lot seemed to have got their own ring leader - a mean looking one with rather large pointy horns and although I know they don't butt like goats I wasn't taking any chances when they found they weren't getting any food from me. Nothing for it but to to use the sheepfold as an escape route!


All that expanse of moorland what are they up to following me?



Dish Stone Rocks


Chew Reservoir

Chew reservoir - built in 1912. At 1600 ft above sea level is claimed to be the highest constructed reservoir in England.





By the water's edge - a peaceful spot to stop for lunch



Trig Point - Featherbed Moss


View from Trig Point - Don't you just wish you were there !!

Well at least its stopped raining

No comments: